Feb 14, 2008

for the love...

no, unfortunately this isn't a post about valentine's day. it's a post about the awful freaky weather we've been having this year. yesterday, specifically. so watching the news, they were saying a small storm was coming between 1-3pm. well the storm came with a vengeance. my mom called me at work (i was working 7a-7p) around 630pm to tell me to be careful going home because the roads were horrible. great...after a horrible and exhausting day at work, i get to deal with getting home in horrible weather, adding probably an hour or so to my commute.

so i get off work and head out to my car. on the way to the parking lot, my boyfriend calls. he asks me if i've left work yet. i told him i was just getting to my car and he tells me i need to just go to my parents house. why, i ask? apparently the storm is worse in the south part of the valley (salt lake valley) which is where i need to drive through to get home. he left work at 530pm, starting his usual 30 minute commute, and he isn't even half way home yet...after 2 1/2 hours. he was currently stopped on the freeway. visibility around the point of the mountain (between the two counties-salt lake and utah-we have what's called the point of the mountain) is almost zero. the roads are covered in snow and ice. the freeway exit to our house and all roads to the entire community we live in have been closed. so even after we get through all the traffic, we can't even get up to our house! so he's already past the point of return to come back to my parents, so he decides to try and make it to his parents house.

so i start my travels to my parents house. the roads are bad, but not the worst i've seen. it took me about an hour (usually takes about 20 minutes) to get to my parents house. i stop at walmart and get some pj's and a toothbrush and head to their house. by this time, kerry has been stuck in his car on the freeway for 3 1/2 hours. he's about 1 mile until the end of the traffic that will allow him to get off the freeway to his parents home. so we both spent the night at our parents houses!!!

what a mess!! since this storm hit in the afternoon and had such high winds reducing visibility and creating blizzard conditions, there were several school buses that couldn't get kids home, so they had to go back to the schools were at least 60 kids had to spend the night because they couldn't get home! there were also a few buses that had to be abandoned because they were stuck and they had to move all the kids to other vehicles!

here is a link to the news story from last night about the mess...

so this morning (it's 1030am as i type) i'm still at my parent's, kerry's still at his parent's, and the road to our house is still closed!! happy valentine's day to us!!! so who knows how long we'll be stranded!! once i get home, i can't wait to see how we get to our house since we live on a hill. i'll have to take pictures as i'm sure there will be a ton of snow!!

3 peeps have to say:

Swamp Tulip said...

Oh no! We're having a terrible winter too but thankfully (and knock on wood) none of us have been stranded. You poor thing. I hope you are able to get safely home soon.

Sending you a hug.

Teresa

Suzi said...

Wow!! That really SUCKS! I'm sorry you're having such bad weather. I LOVE snow (and we're having NONE of it this year) but I think that the conditions you describe might make even ME consider moving to Phoenix!

Sherri Thacker said...

WOW! That is too much for one person to go through. Come south to the Carolinas, no snow here Angie. I hope it warms up soon and all of your snow melts fast away!! WOW! I just can't believe its that bad. Here's a hug. Sherri